The defunct Skully AR-1 head-up display helmet will be replaced by an updated Fenix AR helmet in the middle of 2018.
Skully Inc infamously crashed in July 2016 after the founders blew their $US2.4m crowd funding on fast cars and fast women.
The new company, Skully Technologies, run by brothers Ivan and Rafael Contreras, launched a website with the pledge “determined to make it right”.
Marketing director Diane Maier confirms that original investors who paid more than $US1200 would have their orders fulfilled.
She says there were “some original contributors” from Australia and New Zealand.
They will receive an updated version of the AR-1, called the Fenix AR.
The original Skully AR-1 helmet featured a head-up display (HUD) in a small periphery screen to show information such as speed, navigation and more.
It was priced at $US1499 (about $A1890), but few were made and delivered before the company went bankrupt.
Updated Fenix AR helmet
“We are determined to improve the specs of the original AR-1, on most of the features,” Diane says.
“We are aware that the product could use updating in some areas, and we are determined to do that.
“Our primary objective is to return to market with the product, as soon as possible, so that the fans can finally enjoy what we are calling the Skully Fenix AR.”
Pricing for the new Fenix helmet has not yet been finalised, she says.
“The intent is to begin mass production of the Skully Fenix AR in the (northern hemisphere) summer of 2018,” Diane says.
“The Skully Fenix AR will be available for previous contributors once we validate their contribution through the Make It Right campaign.
“We have already reached out to the list of email addresses we received of previous contributors around the world.
“Regardless of where a prior contributor is located, they will have the opportunity to register to receive the SKULLY FENIX AR based on their original order.
“The Skully Fenix AR however will only be distributed to new customers in the US. Future Skully AR models will be made available globally as we scale.”
Letter to previous Skully contributors
Skully Technologies sent a letter to those investors in the failed Skully project.
Here is the full text of that letter:
In our previous email you were informed that the assets of Skully, Inc., have been acquired by Ivan Contreras and Rafael Contreras, successful businessmen in a variety of global turnaround industrial and technology ventures, and named the new company Skully Technologies.
Skully Technologies is unrelated to the former Skully, Inc., which filed for bankruptcy and is no longer in business.
Many people who paidkully, Inc., for a Skully AR-1 helmet were extremely disappointed when they found out that Skully, Inc., shut their doors and could not fulfil their order.
As you now know, SkullyTechnologies intends on fulfilling Skully’s destiny and is bringing the Skully helmet back. As a part of this effort we want to make it right with those of you who have contributed toward an original Skully helmet and never received one.
We would like to give you the opportunity to receive one of our new Skully Fenix helmets, an improved version of the Skully AR-1 which will begin shipping the summer of 2018.
We call this our Make It Right campaign.
We intend to honour your original contribution based on the criteria outlined below. The process is easy. Here is how it works:
- Any Skully enthusiast who contributed more than $1200 for a Skully helmet on Indiegogo can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, for a new Skully Fenix helmet to be delivered on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment.
- Any Skully enthusiast who contributed $499 in a Skully helmet on Indiegogo can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, to complete their purchase of a new Skully Fenix helmet to be delivered on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment for an additional $949 due at shipping.
- Any Skully enthusiast who contributed $49 for Skully gear on Indiegogo can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, to receive a hat, shirt and decals on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment.
- Any Skully enthusiast who pre-ordered a Skully helmet on the Skully, Inc. website can register on our V.I.P. page, which will go live at 10am EST on October 16, 2017, to receive a new Skully Fenix helmet on a first-come-first-served basis from the Make It Right production allotment.
- Make it Right campaign registration will be available on our V.I.P. page at www.skullytechnologies.com/vip/makeitrightcampaign beginning at 10am EST on October 16, 2017.
- Registration will require full name and address, original contribution date or order date, amount contributed, proof of contribution, email, helmet size and color.
- Skully Technologies will review and approve the registration and confirm a priority number for the Make It Right allotment shipment schedule.
- Once the Skully Fenix production plan has been finalised, campaign participants will be notified by Skully Technologies via email on an expected shipment date based on placement in the queue.
- Registration is void if the customer received a refund of their contribution from Indiegogo, Skully, Inc., from their credit card company or in any other means.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.